Packaging and Storage Hints & Tips
Some moving and packing hints and tips from Caledonian Self Storage about packaging your personal or business belongings and preparing them for self storage ...
- Use good quality storage boxes, we sell wardrobe boxes and packing boxes.
- Fill boxes to capacity to prevent them collapsing.
- Label or number your boxes for reference purposes. This will make moving to your new home much easier.
- Make an inventory of your stored items.
- Plan your storage carefully and leave things you may require at the front for easy access.
- Dishes and glasses should be stored in bubble wrap before storing.
- Dismantle furniture where possible, detach legs from tables and beds to save space and wrap the legs in bubble wrap to avoid damage.
- Do not place heavy items on sofas or mattresses
- Always cover your mattresses and sofas with a protective cover.
- Stack your stuff to make the most efficient use of your storage space. Placing the heavier, sturdier items at the bottom. Be sure to check for stability, we don’t want anything toppling over.
- Make use of empty drawers and cupboards.
- Make sure your goods are dry and clean before you put them into store. Drain and wipe down freezers, refrigerators and washing machines.
- Leave refrigerators or freezer doors open to allow ventilation.
- Avoid leaning furniture against the walls of the unit to allow air to circulate.
- Garden equipment should be cleaned thoroughly prior to storing.
- Lawnmowers and other petrol engines should be drained before you bring them in.